Sunday, October 28, 2007

My Sense of Self-Importance (or Lack Thereof)

Today, I tried an experiment - I had no idea how people find individual blogs through Blogger, and, after quite a bit of looking around, found the BlogSearch button. I then decided to check out on what page this blog would show up if I searched for "Doctor Who".

I've no idea because about 2000 entries showed up and weren't sorted by anything.

So, I tried again, searching for the exact phrase "Doctor Who and the Pirates" which, of course, I had used recently in my Big Finish round up. Two entries.

I figured, "Wait a second! I use swear words all the time! That means I'll need to switch safe-search off!"

No. That wasn't the answer. Eight more matches, none of them were mine.

It was at this point that I realised that BlogSearch was completely unmitigated crap, and decided to try the far more reliable Google. Dropping any pretense I looked for "The Den of Inadequacy"

One result:

Title: Damn if the assClownPosse isn't complete slime
Source: The Den of Inadequacy
URL Source: http://none
Published: Jul 3, 2005
Author: assorted shitheels

Post Date: 2005-07-03 14:04:32 by Dude Lebowski
Keywords: assClownPosse, complete, isntViews: 67

Comments: 61
I'm not gonna link to it, but they have a thread posted by "redhead" where they give instructions on how to obtain one 4um members phone number and home address. They even give a full name. Along with their usual refrains about how we all deserve incarceration for not being complete lemmings.
Now if this is illegal, and I'm sure it is (harassment, libel, incitement to criminal acts), can't these ass-pilfering heffalumps be shut down? If anyone is interested in discussing, maybe it should be done by private mail. They shouldn't be able to do this.


My reaction, in full:

..?

I mean, god, I'd have preferred being ignored completely by the internet then described as a 'shitheel' member of an 'ass posse' who has commited criminal felonies just like that arsehole Alan Jones. Okay, it's an indirect reference because they're clearly not referring to this site but.. jeez.

The most important point is thus: it is pretty much impossible for anyone at all to accidentally stumble upon this site, ever. So people need a direct link to read it. As such, my readership is doomed to languish in the low just-above-zeroes forever.

Given the amount of time I spend on my blog entries, then, I start to wonder if it's time I just started doing more programming work. Like so:


//File: seasoncon.java
//Author: Jared Hansen
//Purpose: converts DW season dates for those too lazy to do simple fucking arithmetic

public class seasoncon{

public static void main(String args[]){

int userNum //Number entered by user
int caclNum //Calculated number that acts as output
int counter //Keeps count of how many times a user fails to perform a task
int LASTSEASON = 26 //Constant - the value of the final season of the classic season

ReadKb kb = new ReadKb //Erm... it's complicated..

userNum = 0

while (userNum > 2){
if (counter > 0) {
System.out.println("ERROR: Incorrect data entered");
}

System.out.println("Enter 1 to convert old numbering system to new, 2 for new-old");
}

if (userNum = 1){

userNum = 0;

System.out.println("Enter season number");
userNum = kb.getInt();

if(userNum > LASTSEASON){
calcNum = userNum - LASTSEASON;
}
else{
calcNum = userNum;
}

System.out.println("Season " + calcnum);
}
else{

userNum = 0;

System.out.println("Enter season number");
userNum = kb.getInt();

calcNum = userNum + LASTSEASON;

System.out.println("Season " + calcnum);
}

}

}



Seriously, that is the shit I'm doing all the time at TAFE. Well, that's the shit I wish I was doing because now we're doing stuff that's even more boring! Incidentally, I can also say that code up there breaks several coding guidelines and is hardly a professional standard, but I just threw it together to make a point. (And regardless, it will compile and run which is what REALLY matters)

So, yeah, I'm just saying that blog entires may well peter off and die a slow death due to combined catalysts of a fairly fragile ego and the fact that yelling into a vacuum is getting quite tiresome. Really, I'm surprised at how long this blog's actually lasted given the fact that I've never managed to keep a diary in my life.

I'll be posting my Spare Parts review at some stage at least, though...

3 comments:

Youth of Australia said...

You should have tried looking for Ben Chatham... and I'm sure you'll enjoy Spare Parts. More than Rise of the Cybermen, anyway.

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

I did actually search for Ben Chatham - 11 pages of results! BASTARDS!!

I've finished listening to Spare Parts (Nearly misspelt that Spara Parts - now wouldn't that be a freaky story) I just haven't quite finished the review.

I feel the need to write the review because I didn't think it was all that.

*Ominous roll of thunder*

But, yes, I did enjoy it more than RotC. But then I've had kicks to the balls that I've enjoyed more than RotC.

Youth of Australia said...

I did actually search for Ben Chatham - 11 pages of results! BASTARDS!!
Yep, that's him. Oh, and I've taken down Nemesissy to ad the latest instalment to the plot.

I feel the need to write the review because I didn't think it was all that.
*Ominous roll of thunder*

I agree. But it certainly is a better version of Genesis of the Cyberman that RotC is - my main issue is that the society on Mondas is as credible as Chatham's sex appeal. For a start, if there are half Cybermen policemen wandering around, how can anyone think the full Cybermen are just ordinary folk in suits?!

But, yes, I did enjoy it more than RotC. But then I've had kicks to the balls that I've enjoyed more than RotC.
Yes. Well. Precisely.