Saturday, April 12, 2008

More Torchwoodery

...well, it's quite easy to see why Something Borrowed is seen as the televisual equivalent of Robert Mugabe.

To other stuff first....

What is the deal with PJ Hammond? I really liked the idea behind From Out of the Rain - that a malfunctioning projector channeling surreal rift energy should bring photos to life Red Dwarf style - but then I find out that isn't actually the idea at all. Because, for some reason, Hammond doesn't seem to get the idea behind Torchwood, that it's the Rift and stuff that come out of it that makes all the weird stuff happen in Cardiff that Torchwood need to protect the Welsh from. Hammond just thinks that weird shit happens for no reason and they deal with it... because they're conveniently around when it does.

Okay, the Rift is name-checked... but so what? That's the only hint of an explanation for what's going on. For the rest of it, we're meant to file it all under "The Night Travellers Are Weird". That's the only explanation for why The Ghostmaster and Pearl are able to manipulate the editing machine to put themselves into the film in the first place, how they can magically appear out of nowhere in Cardiff streets, how they can store humans souls in a run-down shed by an abandoned swimming pool etc.

The suggestion seems to be that all of The Night Travellers are supernatural beings and that Pearl and The Ghostmaster are the most powerful... okay, what do they do with the people they steal? What the hell is up with that? Remember, at the start of the episode, they steal a crowd of a dozen or so 1920s people. Why? Where do they go? I don't think they needed their souls then... why do they need souls again? Why isn't any of this explained?!

It's not as if there ISN'T oppurtunity for any of this shit to be explained.. I mean, the middle of the episode is nothing but padding. Plenty of time to provide half an explanation for ANY of this. But for some reason this time is all used for Ghostmaster and Pearl to re-enact all of the Rutger Hauer/Daryl Hannah scenes from Blade Runner. Which does nothing but demonstrate why Paul Darrow was never in the running for the role of Roy Batty.

(Completely irrelevant sidenote - did anyone else think that was Peter Miles in the part? Well, probably not because the people I know who read this see all the cast notes beforehand but COME ON! The resemblence is quite disturbing, and even though it's more of an impersonation the voice even sounded similar. The only reason I didn't feel positive it was him was because he didn't look thirty years older... but then I still figured he could have gotten whatever freakish genes Nicola Bryant has. Screw Davros, this guy is the new Rontane! Yes, that's right, Rontane needs to make a comeback...)

I do kind of like From Out of the Rain, though, for the last ten minutes. You know, where Jack actually thinks of a really clever way of killing the alien menace, and GOES THROUGH WITH IT. And Owen gets bitch-slapped unbelievably. It's a really good bit of action, only spoilt by some rather odd script writing where Ianto suddenly becomes the narrator..

"I've got the flask!"
"If those souls come out, they'll die!"

And probably one or two other ones.

Something else that really distracted me, and probably would have pissed off PJ Hammond, is the fact their budget didn't stretch to enough extras for the film scenes to really work. See, the idea was clearly that there would be quite a lengthy reel of circus stuff, with various performances. We would see:

*two jugglers
*two clowns
*a strongman
*Jack
*Ghostmaster
*Pearl
*Tatooed man & fellow Night Travellers

It's all their in the dialogue. For the first lot, Jack sees them and waxes nostalgic over their friendship, as they by freakish coincidence happen to be from his circus. But THEN we see the Night Travellers, seemingly in group shot as Jack instantly recognizes them and refers to them in plural. Instead he's reacting to a shot of a singular Tatooed Man. Why exactly the Tatooed Man is so recogniseable is quite a mystery, because you think he'd be one of the less memorable of the group.

Jack then announces that he had nothing to do with the Night Travellers, and nor did any of his friends. Of course, they couldn't find two sets of performers, so ironically the jugglers, clowns and strongman that he specifically said he was mates with and wouldn't have joined the Night Travellers... were in the Night Travellers. And in fact were the core membership. Not that he seems to recognise them or anything...

Anyone else reckon PJ Hammond probably had a scarier group in mind. Like, instead of camp clowns and two dudes in viking helmets juggling, a Voodoo witch-Doctor with some monkeys, one of those long-necked tribespeople breathing fire, a lady with snakes crawling all over her, a contortionist-swordswallower that sort of thing? Something genuinely freaky? *Sigh* If only they had The Sideshow's casting manager...

But now onto Something.... no, I'm going to pass for a moment and talk about A Day in the Death.

I feel kinda sorry for Joe Lidster. (Nearly wrote "Dave Lister" then. Curse you, Campion-Clarke!) He's been really type-cast as "that dude who writes emo stories" and it's kind of a fair cop in light of the fact that he writes emotional and character moments very well. Even though I have mocked him for the somewhat soap-operaish tone of The Reaping it was utterly appropriate for the story and was well-handled.

The thing is, though, Joe Lidster can do quite a bit beyond emo stuff. But he gets commissioned for stuff like A Day in the Death that's one long character piece with a tacked-on piece of plot that essentially serves as a book-end for the story. And one for Owen, of all frigging people. Yeah, he's just died but I'm already over it.

He does a good job regardless of what he has to work with, and I don't know whether to praise his foolhardiness or trash his pig-headed arrogance when he actually tries to tie together the continuity of Seasons 1 & 2, as Owen announces to Tosh that he consciously decided to abandon his womanising ways and become the total loser that he has been this series. Clearly he (or the script editor) doesn't want this to get out of hand, because there is no mention at all of shagging Gwen (Notice how vigorously that has been ignored this season? Suddenly it's her and Jack that are the couple... it's like it was a bad dream the entire team had...)

Quite a large amount of the episode is concerned with what Owen can and cannot do not that he's dead... and to me it feels like they're making the rules up as they go along. I mean, presumably the general idea is that his brain functions perfectly (due to the glove energy) but his blood doesn't pump. This accounts for quite a few of the ideas (no breathing, no body heat (though his brain would produce some heat)) but in other aspects it confuses me. Why can't he eat or drink anything? Digestion is performed using stomach acids, not bloods, and from then on its muscles that do the work and Owen's muscles are fine (for some reason - without oxygen from the bloodstream they'd die and exercise doesn't provide this if you can't breath)

That said, I'm also bothered by the fact that once his brain was working it wouldn't be hard to bring him to life properly. If Martha had worked quickly she could have given him a heart and lung transplant a full blood transfusion - it's been well established that Torchwood have enough medical gear around to try it - and he would have been as god as new. Scientists have already discovered that this is possible on regular dead humans if the blood is evacuated and replaced with a low-temperature saline solution shortly after death and the relevant operations undertaken (Well.. by 'humans' I guess I mean 'dogs'...) and with Owen his body was already perfectly preserved by that damned magic glove.

The one thing that I cannot forgive this episode for, however... is revealing that Owen talked Lucie Miller out of killing herself. Christ, Lidster, I had enough reasons to hate the guy.

Damnit, I'm out of options. I'm going to have to talk about Something Borrowed...

Does Phil Ford know any women? Because the entire basis of the episode seems to be "women are crazy!" because it relies utterly on Gwen behaving in such an unbelievably rash and illogical way, a way, I hasten to add, I have not known any women to behave in. In fact, his characterisation of Gwen seems to be so bad that it's been deliberately retconned by Chris Chibnall two episodes later.

I mean, how can you not drop your jaw when Gwen goes "Wait a minute, I just realised - if this baby I'm carrying disappears, all my rellos will want to know where it went!"

Even though she and Rhy thought they were alone, Private Dexter appears out of nowhere, screams "HOH-YAH, I-HADDEN-FORTA-DAAAT!" before vanishing again.

Is it wrong of me to think that Eve Myles looked kind of cute with the prosthetic baby-bump? It is? Well, better forget I ever mentioned it then.

Aside from the terrible setup this episode really deserves the title of most brain-dead story yet. And in Torchwood that really is a prize you don't want. Once we have established that there's an evil vampire woman shape-shifter who wants to kill Gwen, there is a logical scene that needs to be shown - Torchwood gang runs into room with guns out, and rather than actually try anything subtle like knocking the shapeshifter out or sneaking up before shooting it from point-blank etcetera, one screams out [utterly needlessly] "THAT'S HER, THAT'S HER!!", allowing her time to get away/take a hostage, and in the process she is shot repeatedly.

I can appreciate that we need to see this scene.

We don't need to see it four or five times, however. Especially when one of those times involves John Barrowman in fucking ridiculous makeup, looking like somebody thrown out of The Rocky Horror Picture Show for being too camp.

What really blows my mind is that after the final scene of shooting the shapeshifter from a distance, by which point it looks lik fucking Swiss Cheese, Owen cannily observes that it seems to be resistant to bullets.

Thank you, Ron Mallet. Astonishingly, though, this is meant to be a revelation to the audience, and Jack sounds incredibly proud of his genious when he announces that he has an idea... of getting a bigger gun. Whoa, hold that News Years Honours List, matron!

At this point Gwen and Rhys are running like fuck and Gwen's feeling contractions and Vampire Lady is right behind them... you know, I was just thinking then that this could have been a novel oppurtunity for Gwen to birth the eggs naturally and Vampire Lady to take them happily and everyone to live happily ever after. It's the sort of 90-degree twist in story telling that would be very appreciable after the amount of shit that we've gone through.

But no, Rhys decides that it's time to kill the baby. And he pulls out a gigantic plot contrivance - Owen's Patented Totally Unreliable Exploding Magic Wand! This seriously pissed me off because this particularly contrivance has had its day in Reset. You're not meant to bring it back for exactly the same scene. It also pissed me off with Rhys trying to justify the fact that he's magically able to use it with a hurried "Owen showed me how". Owen. The most stand-offish bastard in Torchwood. Who takes inordinate pride in his skills and abilities. Showed you how to work the magic wand. That took him months to work out how to set a piece of paper alight in a styrofoam cup.

And of course, it works first try!

Then, just to give me a laugh, Rhys grabs a chainsaw out of nowhere and sets out to kill Vampire Lady... and then stops for some reason. I've no idea why. Possibly he's just seen Jack's gigantic gun and needs a stiff drink ala George's enormous trousers in Blackadder III. And as a reward for his hard work he gets Alien Vampire Blood all over his best tux.

Oh, and then Jack drugs everyone at his wedding reception. The End.

This episode is amazingly bad. For my money, the worst of all episodes of Torchwood yet. Yes, even worse than Cyberwoman. The only point of this episode seems to be to get the inevitable marriage episode out of the way, to vainly try and convince the audience that there was some sort of romantic-subplot for Gwen and Jack in Season One (It's not working, you bastards!) and to spoil my fantasies by showing me how badly Nerys Hughes has aged over the past 20 years. Mother. Fucker.

All evidence points to this episode originally being set before Adam in the running (hence why Gwen turns up back to the Hub after a week in Paris in that story)but being forcefully moved into the low-ratings period instead, because it is utter shit.

The most disturbing thing is that Lawrence Miles only seems to find it objectionable for depicting it as alright to abort an alien foetus.



I mean... what am I meant to say to follow that one up?

12 comments:

Youth of Australia said...

How come your reviews are always more entertaining than mine? I have to note that

1) yep, the Ghostmaker was Peter Miles reincarnated. I'm amazed that Alan Stevens of all people was going "Paul Darrow the II", when he doesn't sound like Paul Darrow at all. But Peter Miles? YOU BETCHA! I would have heard it earlier except the first time I was imagining him doing the "tiny pressure of the thumb" speech and the second trying to work out where he suddenly sounded like Paul Darrow

2) PJ Hammond doesn't give a shit.

3) I admit I never really got the mechanics of Zombie Owen. In Buffy, vampires are similarly ill-defined, but as they are demons inhabiting bodies it makes sense they somehow sort out stuff like rigor mortis, decay... And I admit I'm not 100 per cent sure of this, but Owen must be able to inhale and exhale oxygen simply to talk? So he could at least TRY mouth to mouth if he was that bugged by it.

4) Yep, Gwen looked cute, hence the title I gave the review. I must say I never realized how damn stupid the alien life cycle is - why does the egg need to incubate in another lifeform unless the egg picks up traits from said life form, like in Aliens? Since Gwen can have the egg vaporized with no damage to her, it seems that the egg is just physically inside her body and not connected to anything... so how the hell is she incubating it anyway? Since the egg isn't supposed to be born, why does Gwen go into labor? Like you said, I was waiting for some vaguely interesting twist - maybe, like Benny Summerfield, she has a half-human baby and decides to keep it... but no.

Phil Ford sure hates Torchwood. He never makes those stupid mistakes in SJA. You know, if they stole more ideas from the Angel episode they were ripping off, it might have made more sense. At the very least, throwing a barrell leaking liquid nitrogen at your enemy is more interesting than just shooting them.

5) As for Mad Larry, I say, "You're the same guy who noted that a five year old child being killed is no big deal as it would only take five years and nine months to replace".

Apart from anything else, it's morally allowed to kill the baby if it means saving the mother (given her consent) and I know that because my friend Hiedi had to go through with it when she found out she had an ovarian cyst that could have killed her if she'd tried to carry it term.

So, yeah, Mad Larry can enjoy THAT bummer of a weekend before he bitches to me.

The episode sucked, reason enough to hate it in my opinion.

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

How come your reviews are always more entertaining than mine?

Maybe because you're reading them instead of writing them?

yep, the Ghostmaker was Peter Miles reincarnated. I'm amazed that Alan Stevens of all people was going "Paul Darrow the II", when he doesn't sound like Paul Darrow at all.

Took me a little while to place the name "Alan Stevens". Then it came to me.

He's the guy who actually calls himself 'Nyder', right? Pssh. Somebody take his fanclub cards away...

I would have heard it earlier except the first time I was imagining him doing the "tiny pressure of the thumb" speech and the second trying to work out where he suddenly sounded like Paul Darrow

At the risk of emulating some of the ridiculous remarks about Ambassadors, I say he seems to change the character's voice halfway through the location shooting. He sounds fairly normal in the circus scenes... it was the pool scenes where I thought he was noticeable doing the Darrow/Miles impression.

I guess I can see him as Davros... I don't want to trivialise the part, but I think it's a case of any solid voice-actor who can do 'menacing' can really play the part, so I'm not that fussed.

I admit I'm not 100 per cent sure of this, but Owen must be able to inhale and exhale oxygen simply to talk?

I think so... you can't speak when you're out of breath, after all. (Bio-mechanics isn't exactly my field)

So he could at least TRY mouth to mouth if he was that bugged by it.

All he has to do is open his mouth and air will go inside... especially with his mouth.

Dodgy science aside, though, that was a heartbreakingly good scene.

Yep, Gwen looked cute, hence the title I gave the review.

Ah, right. I could work out what that title was. For some reason I assumed it was the paraphilia relating to seeing somebody cry.

I must say I never realized how damn stupid the alien life cycle is - why does the egg need to incubate in another lifeform unless the egg picks up traits from said life form, like in Aliens? Since Gwen can have the egg vaporized with no damage to her, it seems that the egg is just physically inside her body and not connected to anything... so how the hell is she incubating it anyway?

Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense.

Unless the Vampire People were cursed (like the Time Lords supposedly were) into a state of barrenness... though I don't want to connect any good ideas to this dreadful story..

As for Mad Larry, I say, "You're the same guy who noted that a five year old child being killed is no big deal as it would only take five years and nine months to replace".

...he really is off his rocker, eh?

Youth of Australia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Youth of Australia said...

Maybe because you're reading them instead of writing them?
Well, that's no fair.

Took me a little while to place the name "Alan Stevens". Then it came to me.
He's the guy who actually calls himself 'Nyder', right? Pssh. Somebody take his fanclub cards away...

Yes, tiz Nyder.

At the risk of emulating some of the ridiculous remarks about Ambassadors, I say he seems to change the character's voice halfway through the location shooting. He sounds fairly normal in the circus scenes... it was the pool scenes where I thought he was noticeable doing the Darrow/Miles impression.
Maybe that's when he got the job as Davros? Or maybe he was trying to cope with the stink of the disused pool?

I guess I can see him as Davros... I don't want to trivialise the part, but I think it's a case of any solid voice-actor who can do 'menacing' can really play the part, so I'm not that fussed.
Yep. Robert Lindsey could do it.

...

I don't know where to go from there.

I think so... you can't speak when you're out of breath, after all. (Bio-mechanics isn't exactly my field)
OK, he might not be breathing out carbon dioxide, but air must pass through him even if he doesn't need it.

All he has to do is open his mouth and air will go inside... especially with his mouth.
I'm reminded of that monster in Yellow Submarine that opens its mouth and sucks in the whole universe...

Dodgy science aside, though, that was a heartbreakingly good scene.
Indeed. Pretty much the reason I've gone easy on their scientific inaccuracies. I mean, I would have accepted the whole 'stepping out of film' business except the plot doesn't explain HOW they seemed to step into the film in the first place... or why... or...

My head hurts.

Ah, right. I could work out what that title was. For some reason I assumed it was the paraphilia relating to seeing somebody cry.
Well, I'm crap at latin, but I assumed mauseia meant 'expecting mother'. Maybe I'm wrong. Oh, the hilarity!

Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense.
Why the Nostomites didn't bite a dog or something they could have kept an eye on, I dunno.

Unless the Vampire People were cursed (like the Time Lords supposedly were) into a state of barrenness... though I don't want to connect any good ideas to this dreadful story..
Well, the Nostromites (what a stupid fucking name... the Nostril People for crying out loud) are shown as capable of reproducing, but for some reason place the embryo into a host. Like seahorses. Except the male then tries to palm it off into the nearest Welsh chick. Talk about abdicating your responsibilities.

...he really is off his rocker, eh?
"Mad Larry" is not an affectionate description.

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

Well, that's no fair.

Fuck. Did that come across as an insult?

I meant that because you haven't sat down and written my reviews, you don't know all the jokes, if that wasn't clear.

Yep. Robert Lindsey could do it....

I don't know where to go from there.


...you can't think of any 'Nightingales' bits to work into a Davros scene?

I mean, I would have accepted the whole 'stepping out of film' business except the plot doesn't explain HOW they seemed to step into the film in the first place... or why... or...

My head hurts.


So does PJ Hammond usually bother to explain this sort of shit in S&S? Because that was the glaring flaw in the show, as I said..

Well, the Nostromites (what a stupid fucking name... the Nostril People for crying out loud)

I gathered it was meant to be some sort of play on 'Nosferatu'... doesn't realy work.

are shown as capable of reproducing, but for some reason place the embryo into a host. Like seahorses. Except the male then tries to palm it off into the nearest Welsh chick. Talk about abdicating your responsibilities.

Yeah, I couldn't work out why you would impregnate one of the few people who knows who you are and how to kill you...

Hey! I just realised that Gwen shoots the father and it just dies... why do they need the BFG to kill the mother?

Did any effort go into that script at all?!

"Mad Larry" is not an affectionate description.

I know but... he just keeps surpassing my expectations. I'm hoping that after a few more years in fandom he won't be able to stun me any more...

And then he'll show up on YouTube screaming "I'M ROGERING THE DEAD POPE!" as he does so...

Youth of Australia said...

Fuck. Did that come across as an insult?
I meant that because you haven't sat down and written my reviews, you don't know all the jokes, if that wasn't clear.

No, chill. I get that. It's just I'm statistically speaking the only person who HAS to read all my stuff. And I'm the one least likely to enjoy it! BAH!

...you can't think of any 'Nightingales' bits to work into a Davros scene?
An incredible amount, in fact. Terry Molloy could, in character, fit into quite a few of the stories.

So does PJ Hammond usually bother to explain this sort of shit in S&S? Because that was the glaring flaw in the show, as I said..
Well, in the "makes sense but never explained" kind of way.

In the SS version of this, the story revolves around a life form who was "trapped" when the first photograph "caught" a moment in time. The life form then lives in photos, creating a kind of tunnel system as every photo 'links' to the dimension the creature is caught in. Eventually, a rather complicated photo trick involving taking a picture through a kaleadoscope "shatters" the barrier and the creature is able to travel from one dimension to another, jumping in and out of photos. It certainly has a better reason to indulge in this mischief (it's pissed off at humanity for capturing it in the first place).

I gathered it was meant to be some sort of play on 'Nosferatu'... doesn't realy work.
As they aren't limited to the night or drink blood or are undead or even bite people unless reproducing.

Yeah, I couldn't work out why you would impregnate one of the few people who knows who you are and how to kill you...
I thought for a moment "Oh, he realizes she's going to kill him and passes on the egg so it'll survive", which could work, but it's stated he HAS to do this. So why he didn't do it earlier before letting Gwen catch up with him, I dunno.

And what sort of shapeshifters stick to their genders!

Hey! I just realised that Gwen shoots the father and it just dies... why do they need the BFG to kill the mother?
...I've no idea. I have absolutely no idea. Unless the female is somehow tougher or something. But that is never stated.

Did any effort go into that script at all?!
It surely took effort to make Tosh the uberbitch!

I know but... he just keeps surpassing my expectations. I'm hoping that after a few more years in fandom he won't be able to stun me any more...
Has he reviewed any new eps?

And then he'll show up on YouTube screaming "I'M ROGERING THE DEAD POPE!" as he does so...
Oh god. I can so see that. "mad larry pope incest" gets so many hits on google already... 37, 500...

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

It's just I'm statistically speaking the only person who HAS to read all my stuff. And I'm the one least likely to enjoy it! BAH!

Hmm, that is the curse of the writer.

Though when I've forgotten stuff I've written I must admit to laughing at my own material.

In the SS version of this, the story revolves around a life form who was "trapped" when the first photograph "caught" a moment in time. The life form then lives in photos, creating a kind of tunnel system as every photo 'links' to the dimension the creature is caught in. Eventually, a rather complicated photo trick involving taking a picture through a kaleadoscope "shatters" the barrier and the creature is able to travel from one dimension to another, jumping in and out of photos. It certainly has a better reason to indulge in this mischief (it's pissed off at humanity for capturing it in the first place).

...now I LIKE that...

And what sort of shapeshifters stick to their genders!

The mother briefly transforms into Jack... though that may have been script-edited as it's just the reference to Owen being dead of the week...

It surely took effort to make Tosh the uberbitch!

Honestly, I got the vibe that it was terrible characterisation rather than revisionism...

Has he reviewed any new eps?

Partners In Crime. A lot of it's a rant against the media, as most of his new work is. He seems to quite like it, though.

Youth of Australia said...

Hmm, that is the curse of the writer. Though when I've forgotten stuff I've written I must admit to laughing at my own material.
Lucky you. I'm sometimes amazed anything I do raises a laugh.

...now I LIKE that...
Oh yes. PJ got his rep for a reason. He just hasn't used an iota of his talent on Torchwood. It's a crying shame Saward turned down his script for Season 23...

The mother briefly transforms into Jack... though that may have been script-edited as it's just the reference to Owen being dead of the week...
Oh yes. Is it me or does Jack look like a woman in drag when he, uh, vamps and sniffs Owen.

Oh, and it's stupid the Nostromite doesn't kill Owen. OK, he may not be decent food, but she could still kill him...

Honestly, I got the vibe that it was terrible characterisation rather than revisionism...
But the effort to type out that bitchiness...

Took me a fair bit of effort.

Meantime, the first of Charley's spin off adventures...

Cameron Mason said...


Meantime, the first of Charley's spin off adventures...


Brilliant.

Cameron

Youth of Australia said...

Thanks. My adaption of Time Crush has to be delayed since five minutes ago an electrical storm wiped it off my computer.

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

Oh yes. Is it me or does Jack look like a woman in drag when he, uh, vamps and sniffs Owen.

He looks... really weird. What got me was when he was meant to be expressing confusion at Owen's nature... he seemed to be trying to emulate some of Keanu Reeves gurning or something...

Oh, and it's stupid the Nostromite doesn't kill Owen. OK, he may not be decent food, but she could still kill him...

Yeah, because she wasn't actually hungry - she just wanted to even the odds. FAIL.

But the effort to type out that bitchiness...

Took me a fair bit of effort.

That's true... the scientific term for an allergy to bananas isn't something you just KNOW...

Meantime, the first of Charley's spin off adventures...

Hope this doesn't sound too weird... but have you posted part of this or a draft or something before? Reading the synopsis gave me a weird sense of deja vu...

It was still funny, of course.

"Gudbye, darlink!"

Youth of Australia said...

He looks... really weird. What got me was when he was meant to be expressing confusion at Owen's nature... he seemed to be trying to emulate some of Keanu Reeves gurning or something...
The whole thing looks like they're trying to get Burn Gorman to crack up laughing on air.

That's true... the scientific term for an allergy to bananas isn't something you just KNOW...
Unless Ford is, himself, banana phobic. And even then...

Hope this doesn't sound too weird... but have you posted part of this or a draft or something before? Reading the synopsis gave me a weird sense of deja vu...
I haven't, and I know that because I wrote it all in that afternoon and put it up on the site right away.

Mind you, there are plenty of "echoes" to my spoofs of Acorn Man, Catch 1782, and plenty of YOAs...

It was still funny, of course.
"Gudbye, darlink!"

Fly to the Moon is pretty funny, all things considered.

Meantime... this!