Monday, August 4, 2008

They're alive... THEY'RE ALIVE!!!

If there are any other compulsive ABC-viewers out there, it is entirely possible that you have come to this entry shortly after seeing Andrew Denton interviewing Jose Ramos Horta or, as it can appear if glimpsed briefly, one man making a mockery of the laws of physics by talking to himself 20 years in the future. Dad pointed out that this illusion is shattered near-immediately by the fact that Horta actually has quite a bit more hair, but I reason that in 20 years the cure for male-pattern baldness shall be discovered. Hell, I'm relying on it.

Anyway, the point of this prattlesome jackaknapery, if you have just walked in from this surreal experience, prepare for something EVEN MORE surreal... well, not really but I'm trying to sell it as such... the wonders of poorly-drawn animation.

You may recall my scarcely-visible pixel-art posted along with a declaration of my intent to make an old-skool adventure. Well, this is a continuation of that. In my spare time when I'm in the mood I've been working on animating those lumps of pixels and the results have impressed me if nobody else. I've done quite a few walkcycles now, but shown here in particular are parts of those of Ben Chatham and Duane The Zombie Water, two of the colourful characters to appear in my protogenic master-piece.

Bear in mind, from the way that blogger is acting I get the distinct impression that these aren't actually about to animate at all and thus the entire post will be pointless.... enjoy!


Oh, Christ now I think I've lost them...




Right, now idea at all how this is going to turn out...


EDIT: Oh, for fuck's sake it doesn't work. And Blogger help has nothing but a link to another blog that won't load. Well, isn't THAT helpful? A clue: I kill you all.

Well, take this post as to mean I created some animations and am quite pleased with myself. I'm going to bed and life is too short to waste wrangling with this sort of crap. I mean, hell, it's not as if I just spent about an hour formatting them into shitty .gif format just so that I could post them as an animating file in the first place. All this youngster technology, taking our jobs.. *increasingly incoherent rambling...*

5 comments:

Youth of Australia said...

Um... I can see them. Does that help at all?

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

...do they move?

Youth of Australia said...

No. And I tried clicking on the links, saving them, downloading them... they're just pictures what don't move. Sorry.

Chris Hale said...

Whoa dude, kick arse!
Ewen sent me a copy of them and they F**KIN' ROCK DUDE!

I've seen how hard it is to animate with pixle based art, that's why I've just stuck with flash XD. This is insane yet so damn cool, keep going with it dude, seriously!

BTW, are you familiar with the work of Paul Robertson?
Ok, so some of the subject matter maybe a lil' wierd, but you must admit his work is damn impressive!

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

Whoa dude, kick arse!
Ewen sent me a copy of them and they F**KIN' ROCK DUDE!


Wow. Not the reaction I was expecting.

I've seen how hard it is to animate with pixle based art, that's why I've just stuck with flash XD. This is insane yet so damn cool, keep going with it dude, seriously!

Well, as I've said before I think I'm at the point where I find it easier to draw in Paint than most other media.

What exactly is the different between Flash and pixel art? I tried Flash and it's certainly good for drawing stuff quickly but it seemed much the same to me.

BTW, are you familiar with the work of Paul Robertson?

Hmm, not until just now..

Ok, so some of the subject matter maybe a lil' wierd,

Nominated for this year's Annual Understatement Award.

but you must admit his work is damn impressive!

Yes, I'd wager that he's the best miniskirt-caught-in-the-wind artist this side of the Pacific.

Seriously though that's some impressive stuff, and I'll be trying to get a copy of that film he's talking about. Anything to have a schoolgirl riding a giant flying pig to save the day cut out from the final version must be good!


Lol, and now I see the type of people you attract if you do get 300+ comments for a blogpost..

what the hell is this shit

I thought it was supposed to be 3D

fuck off
(Posted by Uchan)