Monday, August 17, 2009

Announcing the Ultimate Ben Chatham Adventure



Of course when it comes to Ben Chatham the standards for ultimacy are set quite low, unless we're talking about the ultimate pile of crap - with obvious occassional exceptions from the reasonably dedicated and highly inventive occassional Chatham authors.

Sorry, gotten off track. I, Jared Hansen, am making a computer game featuring Ben Chatham, Kyle Scott and Katie Ryan doing what they do worst - investigate alien invaders.

The obvious question is "Why the fuck are you doing this???" and there are two very simple answers:

1) There's a competition to make a game in a month that would act as a setup for a series, and sadly Ben Chatham was the second thing to come to mind. (After Shadowrun, which I realised I would never be good enough to do properly)

2) Making a game is something I've wanted to do since I was about five years old and I've spent some time looking into it. Even so, my first effort will inevitably suck. That's why choosing sucky subject matter is a handy move, because every deficiency in this rushed and simplistic project can be said to be a deliberate homage to the 'by-the-crotch-of-the-jock' style in which the canonical Chathamverse tales are writ. (or 'wrought' if you prefer)

As these sprites should well attest, it isn't as if it's going to be a waste of undue effort:



In fact, eagle-eyed readers familiar with this blog may even notice the Ben sprite is one that I've had on my computer for well over a year for my own nefarious reasons..

Truth be told my concern at the moment is being unable to make the deadline in roughly nine days' time, because I have been fairly slack in terms of putting it together, focusing a lot more on writing the thing. But the process shouldn't take long going off previous experience, especially considering that the game barely has any real puzzles. What's held me up is, unusually, not TAFE work but the fact that a mystery illness seems to be slowly killing me, though cruelly interspersing me with days where I feel perfect and thus think I'm 100% cured.

My main regret is spending so frigging long in Flash creating some cool-ish 'intro' cartoon graphics which I ended up ditching completely because, simply put, I realised that what I had written was monumentally unfunny and the graphics didn't really suit anything else.

That said, here is Flash Ben for your amusement.



Yes, the fact he has an Apple is a mindless 'Take THAT!' against the acolytes of Steve Jobs by suggesting that Ben is one of them. With apologies to Stephen Fry and the late Douglas Adams, obviously.

There may be updates, but I'm not sure given that I've barely been able to write anything interesting about it just now...

3 comments:

Youth of Australia said...

Wow. Brilliant. That picture of Ben and his laptop is, let's be honest here, the best EVER illustration of him. The shit-eating smile, the vacuous expression, the rising despair in his baby blues...

Wow.

Impressive sprites (though Nigel is dressed far too hetrosexually, he's normally wearing hot dayglow-pink) and of the others I think I recognize Kyle and Spartha Jones...

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

Wow.

Of course, it may have been up to 50% luck. And as said before that won't actually be in the game after the effort.

Nigel is dressed far too hetrosexually, he's normally wearing hot dayglow-pink

Yeah, so I saw from that picture. I always imagined his trademark shirt being white-on-blue, for whatever reason so that's how I drew it. A bit thoughtless but there you go.

Would you be severely disappointed if I didn't change the colours?

of the others I think I recognize Kyle and Spartha Jones...

Lol. That is Kyle, but the other is meant to be a random child supposedly possessed by Satan. Sadly Spartha won't be in this game.. now THERE'S a missed oppurtunity...

Maybe if the game's good enough for people to want an Episode 2..?

Youth of Australia said...

Yeah, so I saw from that picture. I always imagined his trademark shirt being white-on-blue, for whatever reason so that's how I drew it. A bit thoughtless but there you go.
Oh well, you got Dave's coat absolutely perfect. If that helps.

Would you be severely disappointed if I didn't change the colours?
Good for you!

Lol. That is Kyle, but the other is meant to be a random child supposedly possessed by Satan.
So the other guy's a priest?

Sadly Spartha won't be in this game.. now THERE'S a missed oppurtunity...
The letter s-a-t-a-n appear in SPARTHA JONES. Coincidence?

Maybe if the game's good enough for people to want an Episode 2..?
...
well. quite.