Friday, March 30, 2012

From Zero to Patient Zero

Well, Mallett-Gate has swung shut with a dull thud and I was hoping it would inspire me and give me the energy to write more. And it did, very briefly, but Fate is always waiting to peg in one way or the more insidious other. I'd have written a lot more now but for one small thing.

A mosquito. Carrying the Ross River Virus.

I didn't notice the petite female digging its nose into my flesh at the time because I was also host to its entire extended family at the time - I was bitten about 200 times in the one night. But she's the one that counted, and I got infected. Without realising anything was amiss I went to the gym the next day.

I need to say something that should probably surprise nobody... the Ross River Virus really sucks. Your joints seize up, you feel more tired, your head blocks up, your immune system is weakend... it really isn't fun. Oh and it makes you prone to depression. For a change.

So basically I haven't being doing the writing I'd like to because I've been told I need bed rest, I've been limping, getting x-rays, taking anti-inflammatories, getting flu-symptons, guzzling Vitamin C, getting stabbed with Vitamin B and this is a disease that instils fatigue.

AND I haven't missed a single day of work! Why, oh lord, did I have to be born Protestant?

In other news from a while ago before I got infected with a disease that's put paid to my noble goal of giving blood I'm entirely out of Pymble. Free of that house that stifled me with its oppressive and surreal atmosphere and Brazil-esque disturbing air coniditioning.

Leaving, however, was quite an odd experience. The lady of the house was trying to convince me to stay even as I gave her the key back and was encouraging me to come around for dinner any time I'd be able. Considering that we had barely spoken while I was there, I wasn't expecting much response at all, yet alone one so strong.

It made me think how shut-off I've become in my day to day life. Since my life turned into the ending of "Blake" a year ago I still haven't really trusted anybody too much. Which hasn't been helped by my two closest friends clumsily lying to me for several months for reasons that I still can't quite fathom. Although, you know, the massive language barrier didn't really help.

But there isn't much point in getting sentimental. That room was bloody awful for me in every possible way. I was getting no sleep, it wasn't close to anywhere for dinner other than Dominos, I couldn't afford the rent and I was sharing with a man who was possibly insane.

That is, he saw ants nest nobody else did and believed that cockroaches had made a nest inside his PSP. Even though it's only slightly larger than a mobile phone.

Oh, and if dear old Kyron is reading this, if anything your complaints my work helped my career, because I've been getting more hours. Cheers, mate!

3 comments:

Youth of Australia said...

Hello!

The change in fonts made me think you were writing some "Contagion" style apocalypse novel... in your own inimitable style.

Speaking of getting over Mallet gate I have been able to finally complete another segment of the ongoing YOA epic search for Nigel.

And you have a disc full of stuff and a non-retarded B7 audio play to imagine was made instead of Barry Letts' bowel movements.

And, would you believe it, my starvation diet is paying dividends - I've lost five kilos and not murdered anyone for a sweet delicious beef yeeros with chili sauce and tzezeike and paprica and MAKE IT STOP! MAKE - IT - STOPPPP!!!!!

Ahem. Yes. Indeed.

Hello, Mallet - YOU QUITTER! You are a disgrace to online haterdom and have no work ethic! I've given all your stories to CIA Boss Shapiro so he can print them out, line them up and take a long piss on them! And if you don't get that reference YOU HAVE NO SOUL!!!

Honestly, the things I have to do to keep this relationship going...

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

The change in fonts made me think you were writing some "Contagion" style apocalypse novel... in your own inimitable style.

No. It's a weird accident that happened when I just clicked 'publish post'. It was... odd.

Speaking of getting over Mallet gate I have been able to finally complete another segment of the ongoing YOA epic search for Nigel.

Oh, cool. THERE it is! I saw something about it in my blogger feed but then it vanished again. I'll read it some time tomorrow because I'm about to head to bed. And then I work most of tomorrow too. BUT I'LL GET TO IT!

And, would you believe it, my starvation diet is paying dividends - I've lost five kilos and not murdered anyone for a sweet delicious beef yeeros with chili sauce and tzezeike and paprica and MAKE IT STOP! MAKE - IT - STOPPPP!!!!!

Well that's good. I think? Maybe 50% or so?

Honestly, the things I have to do to keep this relationship going...

He seems to be done. Let's wait and see if he spams a link to maturityofaustralia in the comment section.

Youth of Australia said...

No. It's a weird accident that happened when I just clicked 'publish post'. It was... odd.
OK...

Oh, cool. THERE it is! I saw something about it in my blogger feed but then it vanished again. I'll read it some time tomorrow because I'm about to head to bed. And then I work most of tomorrow too. BUT I'LL GET TO IT!
Heh. It's probably not worth the wait, since it's basically a single gag...

Well that's good. I think? Maybe 50% or so?
Well, losing 5 kilos was way better than what my dietician was expecting. But Johan Sebastian Chatham I get very irritable nowadays....

He seems to be done. Let's wait and see if he spams a link to maturityofaustralia in the comment section.
*sniffs* He just doesn't CARE! And he PROMISED to cyberstalk me forever! MEN! THEY'RE ALL BASTARDS!